28 Jun 2016

Petition for 2nd EU Referendum

A petition to Parliament is circulating in the "wake" of Brexit:

We call upon HM Government to implement a rule that if the remain or leave vote is less than 60% based a turnout less than 75% there should be another referendum.
I signed even though I could not find any actual Referendum Rule to this effect. Turns out that there is no such rule - it's straight majority wins - and the petition was started by pro-leave campaigners prior to the referendum. They were seeking to block a possible Remain vote unless it had a substantial majority. They wanted to create such a rule before the referendum was held. It's backfired on the original intention and is now being used mostly by Remain folk to seek a challenge to the narrow margin result.
I can't see how the result can be overturned. My signing is really just my expression of regret at an ill-informed decision.
As one wag said (before last night's game), "if Iceland win by one goal tonight, I'm going to call for a new rule that you have to win by at least two goals."

No comments:

Post a Comment